Fit Girls! Hello again! I am so sorry I have neglected you, but I have become so overwhelmed by “life” this last week. Everything from cracked windshields to tire blowouts to Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele to preparing for our move down to Newport Beach, or as I like to call it, civilization. I do hope you have not forgotten about me, I have been thinking about all of you often.
I know I’m in love with running, but I wanted to share with you another very important component of getting and staying fit, resistance training, or in other words..lifting weights. I realize I never quite went into detail about it, in fact I think I may have not really mentioned it at all, except in my sample workout regimen from an earlier post. Of course it is just as important as cardio, and I’ll tell you why. Resistance training as you may know is a great way to challenge your muscles as well as build muscle. But did you also know that it is also beneficial to your bones? Being female already sets up a predisposition for acquiring osteoporosis, which is basically the loss of bone density over time, making fracture much more likely. I know I know, you are all still fairly young, and osteoporosis is probably the last thing on your “things to worry about” list. However, making a habit of lifting weights now can help out a lot in the long run, and besides, there are so many other great benefits to pumping iron 😉
Building muscle, I’m not talkin about becoming the next female equivalent to the very famous Arnold Schwarzenegger, but at least for me I’d like to have a little, enough to open the pickle jar by myself…on the first try. Or perhaps carry in all the groceries in one trip lol. Building muscle doesn’t mean you have to be bulky either. Actually, there are two ways to do it entirely. 1)bulking –not as crazy as it sounds because you can stop whenever you get the results you like and then move on to… 2)toning –maintenance or if you’re just starting out, get a nice little shape out of it, like a round, firm butt hehe.
Weight lifting is also great in that it is pretty much specific. You train the muscles you want and the others won’t be affected. If only fat loss worked that way. I’m still having to come to terms that whatever curves I had up top are now smaller..along with my “badonk” lol. My amazing boyfriend reassures me that everything is getting smaller, tummy, thighs, arms, face. His argument is valid, and I am left to just deal with it. Anyway, I suppose that this is my favorite thing about weight training. Not to mention, the weight I lost in my beloved curves can be made up through lifting weights, so not all hope is lost. No, it won’t make me go up a cup size, but I can build the muscles in my chest to make them more toned and noticeable, and I think that’s better than nothing! I can do the same with my backside, make it nice and perky haha. Also, building and toning can improve your cardio ability. If you’re running or doing the stairs, elliptical, whatever, you can expect to see an improvement in your performance if you train your legs and abs with weights. Although, don’t neglect your arms or back! They need some lovin too.
If I haven’t stressed just how important diet is for all physical activity, let it be known now! In fact, engrave it forever in your memory.
Engrave these words in your memory..”Get fit in the gym, lose weight in the kitchen!” I can’t take the credit for that, but it’s awesome, thank you Pinterest!
Anyway, continuing on. I have some tips if you are interested in getting your muscle on. Consider these:
- Don’t be intimidated in the weight room/weight area. It’s not just a man’s world. Just turn your music up a little louder and get into it. It really can be quite fun!
- If you are unsure about a certain exercise or technique, don’t be afraid to ask! More often than not, the other members will be willing to help out. After all, these people are exercising so they are likely to be in a good mood anyway. If you don’t feel comfortable with this then I suggest YouTube
- Toning=less weight, more reps. Building=more weight, less reps.
- Don’t sacrifice form. Lower the weight if you have to. There are reasons for it, so you don’t hurt yourself, and so you get the most out of every lift.
- Don’t train the same muscles everyday. Your muscles need time to grow and repair. If you’re going to be training with weights most days of the week, focus on only a group a muscles per day. For example, one day you do all leg workouts, the next arms, etc. I am currently only training with weights about 2 days a week and I spread the days out so I just do all my muscle groups in one day and then take the next day to relax and recover. If you don’t feel sore the next day, perhaps you didn’t train hard enough. If you do feel sore, that’s great, that means you challenged yourself. I use my recovery days to stretch and take a walk so that my muscles are a little loose. Nobody likes stiff muscles, it’s painful. If possible, take a nice bath, bubbles optional 😉
- Eat more protein on weight training days than cardio days. Protein is crucial and it’s actually pretty easy to find sources of protein. I am really digging protein shakes right now. They are so easy to make and taste like a treat more than anything. I use 6 oz. vanilla soy milk, 1 tbsp white chocolate dreams peanut butter(Peanut Butter & Co, find it at Target), 1.5 scoops of vanilla whey, and about 6 ice cubes cause I like my shakes thick.
I hope you found this helpful. If you have any questions I would love to help out whatever way I know how. I’m not an expert or anything, I just know what worked for me, and hopefully it will work for you.
Here are some of my results from resistance training.
Yep, not too shabby for a girl, right? My calves may be too much for some people, but I run, and I like the fact that I have them to count on and push me through the miles. What i reeeeally want to focus on is toning up my bootay. My boyfriend bought me this fabulous Victoria’s Secret bikini, my first ever so it’s exciting for me, and I really want to look my best in it. Especially since we are moving to Newport Beach 🙂
That reminds me, some sad news. My laptop is only going to be working for about 3 more days, and it will be hard to update on here as often as I would like ::sad face:: We have to wait until my hard rive or whatever is back in stock on the Sony website, it has been back ordered for some time, and my 30 day trial is just days away. However, please familiarize yourself with the FitGirlLifestyle FaceBook page. That is easier to access than this will be.
I hope you all have an amazing, wonderful week. Remember, you can always sweat our your “case of the Mondays” with a good ol fashioned lift session.
Have a Fit Day ❤